Monday, 14 March 2011

American Cheesecake

Recipe Number Ten: Page 379.


I was looking forward to making a cheesecake. I have never made one before! Neil is the master of the cheesecake; he makes such a good one. I have never found the need to try.

Before I go any further, I have a confession. Although I scanned the recipe the day before, I missed the part about making it the day before (cheesecake needs to set overnight). Patience must be wearing thin by now as this is the third time I have failed to read a recipe properly. I did give myself a stern talking to when I realised my mistake, I assure you!

Anyway, I digress. I am a big fan of the cheesecake biscuit base. All the buttery, crumbly biscuitiness, scrummy! As I mentioned in my write up of the Cheese Straws, my Mum does not own a rolling pin. So, my first hurdle was finding something else with which to bash the bag of biscuits. A pair of kitchen scissors happened to be close by. Luckily, my Mum was not there to witness me holding the scissors by the 'dangerous' end, bashing away at the biscuits with the handle of the scissors!! Unwounded, I stirred my crumbled biscuits into some butter and sugar and that was the base done, easy. All I had to do was press the base into the tin and leave to set. Mary Berry doesn't say how long it takes to set. I left it for an hour to set at room temperature. By then it was ready for the topping. The topping contains Greek yoghurt, which, for some reason I would never have thought of adding to a cheesecake. I had to use the juice of some lemons. Why is it that you can have a tiny scratch on your hand, which you are not even aware of, but the lemon juice will seek it out? Oh the stinging! All the topping ingredients are mixed together and spooned on top of the biscuit base and left to set in the fridge overnight. Well, as I said earlier, this did not happen. As I finished making the cheesecake at 3pm it wasn't ready until about 9pm (we all had indigestion at bedtime)! Once the cheesecake was set, I decorated the top with raspberries and warmed redcurrant jelly. 
Can't wait to dig in!

I enjoyed making this cheesecake. It was pretty easy to make and tasted divine, if I do say so myself! I would definitely make this again.
Quick grab a fork!!

No comments:

Post a Comment