Monday, 7 March 2011

Lemon Cream Tartlets

Recipe Number Seven: Page 268.

I had been looking forward to making these all week. I was particularly excited as I had decided to make my own lemon curd. Hence, another mention of The Great British Bake Off. Yes, I love the programme! Finalist in the series, Ruth Clemens, has a blog called The Pink Whisk. There are some great recipes on there. One of her creations is Super Zingy Lemon Curd. I have been meaning to make it for some time and this seemed like the perfect occasion. This was made the night before the afternoon tea, (along with the Bara Brith). I would highly recommend it, it is so easy to make and is very tasty.

The tartlets are not pastry but shortbread. The addition of semolina is a little different and has a nice feel when mixed, I felt like I was playing in the sand! When I had made up the dough, I put it into the fridge for a while and had a well earned sit down! After the dough was chilled and easier to handle I could roll it out. I think I rolled it a bit too thin, as I made 12 instead of 10 and had a little dough left over. It was fiddly pressing the dough into the bun tin as it kept cracking and little holes kept popping up. I had to take my time and try not to rush it! The tartlets cooked in the oven for about 20 minutes. It was hard to tell if they were cooked or not as the dough stayed very pale.

So pretty!
After the tartlets were cold, I could make the filling. Mary Berry advises not to put the filling in until just before you are ready to serve and eat as the shortbread goes soft quickly. The filling is so simple, just whip up some double cream, stir in some lemon curd and place heaped spoonfuls into the shortbread tartlets. Adding the sliced strawberries to decorate the top makes it look so pretty and appetising. I have to say that I felt quite proud looking at the end result! Neil seemed particularly taken with these. He loved the shortbread; the semolina gives it a satisfying crunch. I think the topping would also be divine on top of a cheesecake base!! I needn't have panicked about the shortbread going all horrible and soggy. We had four left and they were fine the following day.

All in all a good day! I also made a huge and very rich chocolate cake from Lorraine Pascale's new cook book. Our friends gamely dug into all that was on offer, though the pace did slow considerably after the chocolate cake had also been consumed! Thank goodness they were all willing to take a 'doggy bag’ home. We had a lovely time, but after the sugar rush came the come down. Everyone was falling asleep by 7pm!!

If you want to find out what I am going to make in advance etc.. please check out my Facebook page Rising to the Berry  or follow me on Twitter.  Thank you :-)

1 comment:

  1. I can't recommend these enough - they were lovely.

    ReplyDelete