Monday, 28 March 2011

My Mother's Bread and Butter Pudding

Recipe Number Fourteen:  Page 342.


If you have read my previous entries you will realise immediately that this could not be my mother’s recipe but in fact Mary Berry's mothers. Before I go any further I must let it be known that I've never really liked bread and butter pudding. I have only tried it a few times I admit, but I've found it to be stodgy and, dare I say it, a little slimy!! Neil, on the other hand, really likes bread and butter pudding and has even made it himself some years ago. So, I knew he would enjoy it and I had to complete the recipe at some point!

It was a mistake to try to make the pudding along with making a batch of risotto for my nine month old and our own dinner. They say women can do several things at once. Maybe, but it makes for a lot of stress and panic!! I can't say that I, or for that matter Neil, enjoyed the experience!

I needed some thin sliced bread. We only use thick or medium if we buy it, so Neil was very resourceful and baked some in the bread machine earlier. He even cut it thinly for me. Several brownie points were gained for this. I usually cut door stoppers, thin at the top and about an inch thick at the bottom. My dry ingredients had to be stirred together. On the list was the grated rind of a lemon. I am beginning to dislike lemons. I just couldn't face grating it, so I used my zester and made the strands of rind as small as I could. The bread was cut into strips and enough to cover the base of the dish was dipped in butter. Half the dried fruit was scattered on top and then I just alternated the bread with the fruit. Our bread must have been ultra absorbent as, by the end, I was no longer dipping. I was wiping the bread around the inside of the bowl, trying to find some remaining butter!!

I nearly put this in the oven, before realising I hadn't actually completed the recipe! I also had to measure out a pint of milk and mix with some eggs before pouring on top of the bread and fruit. I only have a pint measuring jug. Any normal, right minded person would have measured the milk, poured it into a bowl and whisked in the eggs. But, as you may have realised, I am none of these things! I was getting quite alarmed by the amount of washing up that was accumulating around me, so I thought I could manage to fit the eggs in with the milk and mix, to save on washing up! Of course it was a stupid idea. I realised this as soon as some milk sloshed out of the jug as I tried to mix it all together. I tried to pour some of it on to the bread so I could give the remainder a proper whisk. A big lump of unmixed egg yolk landed on several strips of bread, some gloopy egg white missed the dish entirely and ended up on the worktop, oh dear! Anyway the rest of the milk and egg was given a proper mix and poured on top of the eggy mess. I was not hopeful about the outcome.

I left it to stand for the hour Mary Berry suggested. Then, into the oven it went. I was convinced that, as a lot of the egg had not been mixed in, it would be a complete disaster. There was no way it would set. It was in the oven for the 40 mins suggested. I should have taken it out earlier though, as it got a bit burnt. I confess I forgot about it as I got sidetracked putting the risotto in the freezer! I put the spoon in and it looked runny. I called out to Neil that it was awful, all that effort wasted! Neil came and looked and said that is what it is supposed to look like. And, when I dished it up, it didn't look runny any more. It looked OK! And, more to the point, it tasted OK, all lemony and light. The ones I have had in the past were bought from the bakery section of the supermarkets. Home-made is so much nicer! I am not saying I now love bread and butter pudding, but would have it again for sure. I agree with Mary Berry that you should eat it warm. I had a little piece cold today and it was nowhere near as nice!!

Even I couldn't manage to eat it all!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment