Monday, 7 March 2011

Very Best Scones

Recipe Number Six: Page 320.

I only made the Special Fruit Scones two weeks ago. However, as I was making an afternoon tea, I couldn't not make scones could I?! So, I decided to make plain ones this time. The recipe was obviously very similar. The quantity of ingredients was slightly more (as it makes more scones). That was the main difference and of course no fruit!!!

Now, you would have thought I would have learnt from my previous mistakes. It would appear not! I forgot that I needed to break the eggs into a jug and then make it up to a certain quantity with the milk. Instead, I put the eggs into a cup to beat them and measured the milk into a jug separately. I blame this on the fact that I was rushing to get things done before our friends arrived, I was running behind as usual. Therefore, I had to empty the milk from the jug into a glass, tip the eggs into the now empty jug, and pour the milk into the jug of eggs to get to the required amount. That slowed things down nicely, a good example of why it is best not to rush! 

The finished dough was so sticky, much more sticky to handle that the fruit scone dough. I was completely smothered. I got into a right old mess trying to roll it out. Mary Berry says to cut out the dough by pushing the cutter down into the dough and not to twist the cutter to lift them out. This should make the scones rise evenly and not lose their shape whilst cooking. I found this difficult as the dough was so sticky, so I am afraid that with a few I twisted the cutter, I hang my head in shame!  Seconds after I had triumphantly put my two trays of scones into the oven I realised I had forgotten to glaze them! Therefore, with the help of my poor husband, the trays were quickly whipped out of the oven so they could get a coating of egg and milk. I do remember, on The Great British Bake Off, that one of the secrets of good scones is only to glaze the tops of the scones and not to let it run down the sides as this inhibits the rise. In my haste, some did drip down the sides. I could only watch in silent horror as the glaze merrily made its way down the sides of the scones. It was no good, their fate had been sealed. As you can see from the pictures, although some turned out ok, others did not rise well and were a bit out of shape. This was most probably due to the twisting and dripping!! 
My lopsided scones!


Still, they tasted like a scone and were great with clotted cream and jam, yum!
Had to include a picture of a scone ready to scoff!!


No comments:

Post a Comment