Monday, 18 April 2011

Fast Flapjacks

Recipe Number Twenty Three:  Page 191.


I haven't had a flapjack in years. I cannot imagine why not as I am quite partial to their chewy gooeyness! I have tried making them once or twice before but I have not bothered for some time as they have always turned out rock hard. A sense of unease comes over me as I attempt to bite into one. Will I crack a tooth?!

At the beginning of this particular recipe, Mary Berry does say to take care not to over bake them, as they can become hard. Wise words! I do tend to get distracted and things can get a bit too golden brown.

I felt quite proud of myself when I started to make the flapjacks as I remembered a useful tip from a friend, Dan. He suggested a few weeks ago that I should measure golden syrup straight into a saucepan on top of my scales, rather than into a bowl. This would mean that I wouldn't get so sticky and it should also make the measuring more accurate. I had checked in my Baking Bible to see how much golden syrup I needed. Wow, 225g seemed a heck of a lot but I knew I had just enough left in the tin. I poured 180g of syrup into the saucepan and started to panic. I didn't seem to have much left, so I spent ages scraping around the tin with a spoon, making sure I could get it all out. I then went and checked the amount again. Oh dear, I actually only needed 75g! All the other ingredients weighed over 200g and I had read it wrong, whoops! I had to laugh. I went and told Neil what a silly thing I had just done; funnily enough he did not look surprised! Tutting to myself, I put back the golden syrup that I didn't need and then dropped the golden syrup lid onto the floor. Of course it landed syrup side down!

Anyway, after that fiasco, I carried on with the apparently 'fast' flapjacks! It is such a simple and easy recipe as all that you have to do is melt butter, sugar and golden syrup and stir in the oats. Turn the oaty mixture into a tin and pop into the oven, simple!

Mary Berry says to cook for about 35 minutes. After her warning not to overcook the flapjack, I was really careful to keep checking on it. Maybe I should invest in a timer?! After the allotted time was up, the flapjack was a lovely golden colour and looked delicious. After it had been cooling for ten minutes, I marked the flapjack into 15 squares. Mary Berry says to make 24, but they would have been a bit small for me!

The finished flapjacks tasted good and buttery, maybe a little bit too buttery. I had to wash my hands after eating one as my hands felt oily! They were perhaps a bit too hard, but were chewy. This was a vast improvement on my previous attempts. I loved making these and will certainly make them again. If I hadn't of made a hash of weighing the golden syrup, they would indeed have been fast flapjacks!
Yum!

Recipe Variation: Chocolate Chip Flapjacks

A chocolate flapjack, what's not to like?!! Simply adding 100g of chocolate chips might not seem like much of a variation but I thought it was a brilliant one. I couldn't wait!

I followed the instructions as for the original recipe. The chocolate chips were to be added before pouring the buttery mixture into the tin. It would of helped if I'd been paying attention. I was too busy talking (nothing unusual there) and forgot to add them. I ended up mixing in the chocolate chips while the flapjack mixture was in the traybake tin. Also, I failed to notice that I should of left the mixture to cool before adding the chocolate. Of course they melted when I stirred them in - whoops!!

I paid more attention whilst the flapjack cooked. I wanted them to be chewy and soft. My teeth aren't too keen on rock hard flapjacks! Thankfully I didn't overcook this batch and they were just as I'd hoped. Shame the chocolate chips melted but it wasn't the end of the world. I was really pleased with the flapjacks as they were so chewy and chocolatey. As with the previous recipe I was alarmed by the oilness - I dread to think what they've done to my arteries!!
Mmmmm.....chocolate!
Recipe Variation:  Muesli Flapjacks

I was a bit worried about making these flapjacks as the two I'd made previously were on the oily side. I wasn't keen on adding another layer of fat to my ever expanding hips! Of course my greed got the better of me and I was soon grabbing the packet of butter from the fridge and getting started.

The variation for this recipe was to deduct around half of the porridge oats and replace with muesli. Mary advises to use your favourite muesli but as we rarely eat it we went for the cheapest variety! There is also the option to add extra raisins. I love raisins so added in a generous amount; sampling a few as I went!

I could then carry on with the simple recipe and it wasn't long before the flapjack was ready to go into the oven. After the suggested thirty five minutes my flapjack was cooked through but I was worried it might be a little over done. I needn't of worried as when marking it into squares I realised that it was very squidgy. Also, I was horrified to see that the flapjack was sat in a puddle of oil - YUCK!!

These were my favourite of the three flapjacks as I really liked the fruity addition of raisins. They were lovely and chewy, I just wish they weren't so oily! 
Oily but tasty flapjack!







4 comments:

  1. I love flapjacks, and I even got a mention in the post! :)
    They were definitely firm (read: crispy) but I think that actually made them quite characteristic, and a pleasant change from the moist variety.
    Also, being more dry, it gave a sense that they weren't as bad for you. So I had two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've made these, they are soo tasty and taste better the day after. I also had the same problem with them being a bit too oily, I added an extra 50g oats to the mixture, this stopped it being so oily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your great tips Julieta. Will have to follow your advice next time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed ready this post Anneliese. Glad you and Dan enjoyed the flapjacks too.

    ReplyDelete