Thursday, 5 May 2011

Banana Loaf

Recipe Number Thirty Two: Page 307.


The reason I came to make a banana cake was due to an abundance of over ripe bananas. My son and I share one between us most days and Neil is also rather partial. Overnight it seemed that our bunch of bananas turned almost black; they did not look very tempting. When flicking through my now slightly scruffy Baking Bible, I happened across this recipe. Here was a great way to use up a few bananas. Apparently, you can freeze bananas if you are not ready to use them, another handy tip from my Facebook page, please keep them coming!

I started this recipe later than I intended. As usual the day just went too fast and seemingly little was achieved! I was almost ecstatic to find that the recipe used the all in one method. This meant that the cake took next to no time to make. The only thing that took any real time was peeling my bananas and mashing them. As they were so ripe, I barely had to put any effort into the mashing as they just fell apart. I have to say mashed banana looks quite revolting; best to try not to think about what it resembles! When I had finished mashing, I tipped the puréed banana into my mixing bowl along with all the other ingredients. Using my electric whisk, I made sure everything was well blended and then popped the mixture into my prepared tin. My mother-in-law kindly gave me some loaf liners, so I didn't have the hassle of lining the tin with greaseproof paper. I always make such a mess of it!

The cake cooked in the oven for an hour. As seems to be a now common theme, the cake was a little burnt. Oh well, I quite like the crunch! Neil said the cake had risen very well in the centre but not much at either end; if given an end it would be a raw deal! We tried the cake whilst it was still warm; we both commented on how moist the cake was. You can really taste the banana and it is quite sweet. It is a very nice cake, but I had a feeling something was missing. I have seen banana cakes with a chocolate icing – now you're talking!
Mmmmm.....bananas!!


No comments:

Post a Comment