Monday, 2 May 2011

Cupcakes

Recipe Number Thirty: Page 121.


Ahh, the Royal Wedding! After watching the service on television I felt an urge to make some cupcakes in honour of the happy couple. I asked Neil, who is much more artistic than I am, if he would be happy to draw some little flags for the cupcakes. We were too mean to buy cocktail sticks so ended up using matches with the flags stuck onto the striking end!!

I have never been a cupcake kind of girl. However, I know how popular they are; they seem to be very much in fashion at the moment. Looking on the internet I am often amazed and wowed by the beautifully decorated cupcakes people make. I wish I could make things of a similar nature, but I have never been very good at decorating cakes and making them look pretty. I was, however, feeling a tiny bit creative and these moments don't last long, so I thought I had better hurry up and make the cupcakes before the moment passed!

I was delighted to see how easy these cakes are to make. I love Mary Berry for her all in one method! I just had to add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. I was a little surprised that a few tablespoons of milk are included. Maybe this creates a lighter sponge. I beat all the butter, flour and sugar etc. together with my beloved electric whisk until the mixture was smooth. I had already put paper cases into my 12 hole muffin tin. I used four blue and red cupcake cases and eight white muffin cases. I had purchased an ice cream scoop after a kindly soul suggested it to me on my Facebook page. This makes it a lot easier to get the mixture into the paper cases, such a handy tip. I was worried I wouldn't have enough mixture to go around but, after much scraping of the bowl, it appeared it would be just about adequate. I popped the tray into the oven and left the cakes to cook for 20 minutes. I was really pleased when I took my cupcakes out of the oven; they had risen so well, much better than I had expected.

I left them to cool on a rack whilst I made up the butter cream icing. I made a mistake by using a fairly small bowl. It was hard to sift the icing sugar into it. The worktop and my trousers got a nice dusting! The next problem came when I tried to beat it together with the butter. I tried to place a tea towel around the bowl, but still lots of icing sugar escaped. I had to admit defeat and got my large bowl out of the cupboard. I was annoyed as this equated to more washing up. However, it did make it a lot easier and far less messy. I added an extra tablespoon of icing sugar as I hoped this would make up for all that I had lost!

I didn't realise how tricky it would be to get the butter cream neatly onto the cupcakes, it was quite fiddly. It took me a lot longer than it should have! I put the finished cakes onto my pretty cake stand. The last time I used this Cake Standa few people asked where they could get it. It is from Amazonat the bargain price of £10.44. I put some of Neil's delightful flags on top of the cupcakes. I had bought some Smarties with the thought of adding some red and blue ones to the tops of some of the cupcakes. Pah, I only had two blue and four red Smarties in the packet. I had forgotten that they do other colours too!!!! They don't look exactly like what I had in mind. Maybe not quite fit for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, but I am a little bit proud of them! They are so simple to make but taste great. The texture is so light; maybe the addition of milk does make a difference. I can't recommend these cakes enough!
Not that exciting but I am quite pleased with them!!

I think that making cupcakes could indeed become a little addictive. I loved making these; maybe I am a cupcake kind of girl after all!

So tasty!



2 comments:

  1. Hi there it was me that gave you the tip!

    Glad your finding it useful.

    Kind Regards

    Debbie Clendon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yay, you were the kindly soul!!

    It is such a useful tip, thank you for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete