Monday, 27 June 2011

Coffee and Walnut Traybake

Recipe Number Fifty Four:  Page 176.


My mother-in-law asked me to bake her a few cakes for her birthday. I have to admit to feeling a little daunted as she has baked and sold cakes in the past; she certainly knows her way around a kitchen. I hoped my offerings would be up to scratch! I got up bright and early so was all ready to go when my son was having his morning nap. It did feel a little unnatural baking as early as 9am; I don't usually get round to it until the early evening!

This was another of Mary's easy and quick all-in-one cakes. I measured all of the ingredients into my mixing bowl. As this makes a relatively large traybake, I did require a fairly hefty quantity of ingredients. I thought the muscovado sugar should work really well with the coffee essence. I have never used coffee essence before; I now own a large bottle of the stuff, so I hope I need it for other recipes! Mary does say that you can use instant coffee granules instead but I was keen to try something new. I didn't need as many walnuts as I had expected. As they are mentioned in the title I imagined they might play more of a part in the recipe. Once all the ingredients were weighed and in my bowl I just had to beat until everything was blended together. This took next to no time as I had remembered to leave the butter out overnight so it was very soft. Having soft butter makes life so much easier! I poured the dark sweet smelling mixture into my lined traybake tin and popped it into the oven. The cake batter which was left in the bowl had to be tried. It would have been rude not to! It tasted delicious; I loved the taste of coffee.

The cake was ready after about 35 minutes; it had risen very well and looked lovely and moist. I had to leave it to cool in the tin. Once the cake was cold I could make the icing. The icing was a very straightforward butter cream. As per usual, the icing sugar dust got everywhere. I hate the stuff! I needed a small amount of coffee essence in the butter cream, so there would be a double hit of coffee – lovely! When I mixed the ingredients together I started off with a wooden spoon. Once everything was incorporated I moved on to my electric whisk. This helped to minimise a further dust attack from the icing sugar! I smoothed the icing on top of the cake. It was a little tricky as the icing kept pulling the top layer of cake off and it got mixed into the icing, so I spent ages trying to tidy it up! For decoration I added some walnut halves to the top of the cake. I was very pleased with the finished cake; it was so hard resisting the urge to cut myself a large slice there a then!

The cake went down very well with my mother-in-law and her friends. It was thought to be very moist and light. The taste of coffee wasn't as strong as I thought it was going to be; it was more evident in the uncooked cake batter, but nevertheless it was a lovely cake!
Hard to resist!



1 comment:

  1. I've just made this cake tonight. I was saddened that the coffee taste wasn't very strong. I'd add an extra 50% next time.

    ReplyDelete