Monday, 25 July 2011

Jane's Fruit Cake

Recipe Number Sixty Seven:  Page 66.

I had fancied making a fruit cake all week; I haven't really made many fruity cakes on this challenge so I thought I would give this cake a go. The picture in the Baking Bible is wonderful. The cake looks so moreish and wholesome. I couldn't wait to bake it and have a taste.

For this recipe I needed buttermilk. I may sound thick but I wasn't sure where to find buttermilk in our local supermarket! I thought it would either be in the yoghurt or milk section. Up and down the aisles we went, peering at all the tubs of yoghurt and all the bottles of milk. It was looking like it might be a fruitless search. However, not one to be beaten, I carried on with my quest. I think Neil thought we were looking a little suspicious so he cleared off to get the rest of the shopping! Eventually I spied a young girl stacking the shelves; I asked if they sold this elusive buttermilk. She took me to it straight away. It was right next to the crème fraiche! I think I thanked her a bit too much as she scurried off in a hurry!

Back home with all my necessary ingredients I could finally make a start! I had to set the oven to Gas Mark 1. No wonder it would take around three and a half hours to cook! It took me ages to double line my deep cake tin with baking parchment. I have never done it before. It was fiddly, but I got there in the end. It appeared to be a really easy cake to make as all the ingredients are added to a bowl and then mixed together. The recipe called for one pound of wholemeal flour; in my book the addition of wholemeal flour automatically deems the cake healthy! When I put the flour into my medium sized mixing bowl, I hadn't anticipated the sheer volume of all of these ingredients. By the time I had added the butter, muscovado sugar, dried fruit, eggs and buttermilk, the ingredients were right at the top of my bowl. I found it impossible to get a spoon in to mix it! I had to transfer the ingredients in to my very large glass bowl, but even that was a tight squeeze! I had to mix it as best I could before using my electric whisk. The mixture had to be whisked for two to three minutes. By the end of this time, both I and the kitchen had been sprayed with cake mix! After successfully making a wonderful mess, I could move on to spooning the mixture into my lovingly prepared tin. This took some time! I sprinkled a generous quantity of flaked almonds over the top. The almonds really made the cake look pretty; a great last touch.

The cake went into the oven and that is where is stayed for most of the evening. It was in the oven so long that I almost went to bed and left it there. That would most certainly have tested the smoke alarm! When I took the cake out of the oven it didn't look much different to when it had gone in. The almonds had barely browned, but the cake certainly appeared to be cooked. I left it cool in the tin overnight and trotted off up to my favourite place - bed! The following morning I took the cake out of the tin, peeled off the paper and cut a slice. It was hard to cut a small slice as it was so moist, (that is my story and I'm sticking to it) so I cut one big one for us to share. The cake was so lovely and light. The amount of fruit was spot on for me and it wasn't too heavy. The great thing about fruit cake is it keeps so well. However, it is also very moreish, so I wonder if we will get to test the theory. Neil took some to work today but we are still left with almost half the cake. I'll be surprised if it makes it to the end of the week! I think this really is a perfect everyday fruit cake. It is so easy to make and even easier to eat!!
This is a good fruit cake :-)


4 comments:

  1. Hello! When I can't get hold of buttermilk I make my own with normal milk and a few teaspoons of lemon juice. Something like one cup of milk to 2teaspoons of lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Helen! Ahh thanks for that! I had a feeling you could create your own - but had no idea how!! That is a really useful tip :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds yummy Anneliese think i'll be trying that one soonx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just had a slice for breakfast :-) You so have to try it Jo, best fruit cake I've made.X

    ReplyDelete