Monday, 4 July 2011

Melting Moments

Recipe Number Fifty Seven:  Page 196.

I had been looking forward to making these biscuits as they seemed like the ideal accompaniment to a cup of tea. I don't really know why they are called melting moments; I can only presume they melt in the mouth! Mary mentions in her introduction to the recipe that the texture is short.

I was keen to get started and was feeling full of energy, so I got cracking before the feeling passed! My new thing is to try to reduce the amount of washing up by mixing everything in my weighing scale bowl. So I measured the butter, sugar, egg yolks and flour into the bowl. I very nearly added the oats as well but, just as I tipped the packet, I read the instructions and saw that they didn't feature in the recipe until later. I grabbed my electric whisk and tried to beat all the ingredients together. At this point I realised how small my weighing bowl actually is. Quite a substantial amount of flour and butter shot out of the bowl and smothered both the kitchen floor and worktop. I think I will be finding bits of poorly mixed dough for some time. I gave up using the whisk after making such a mess, so I worked it all together with my hands instead!

I had to divide the dough into about 36 portions and then roll each piece into a ball. Now it was time for the oats to play their part. I tipped them into a small bowl and rolled each dough ball around in the bowl until it had a decent oat coating. I placed each oaty ball onto a lined baking tray and flattened them a little with my fingers. Next, I was happy to open a tub of my beloved glacé cherries. Sadly I only needed a few as each cherry had to be cut into quarters. I pressed a quarter into the middle of each ball. I ended up feeling a little sick as I couldn't resist eating a few cherries as I worked!

I put the biscuits into the oven. I peered through the oven door after about ten minutes to see that the biscuits had risen and looked puffy. Just before the 20 minutes cooking time was up, I checked the biscuits again and found that they had collapsed and were now flat! Even though I had spaced them well apart to give them room to spread, they still managed to stick together. As soon as they were out of the oven, I quickly cut the biscuits apart from each other before they had the chance to set and become hard.

Once the biscuits were cold I had a taste. They were very crumbly and the flavour was subtle and sweet. I still don't know why they are called melting moments as they didn't melt in my mouth as I thought they might! They must be moreish as both Neil and I ate at least three each that evening! There were so many that I couldn't get the lid on the tin, so we were forced to eat them, honest!
Couldn't get the lid on - what is a girl to do......?


No comments:

Post a Comment