Monday, 8 August 2011

Quick Granary Rolls

Recipe Number Seventy Two:  Page 284


I'd intended to make these rolls last weekend but our food delivery was cancelled and I was left without the rather crucial granary flour. Thankfully, our food was finally delivered this week so I was able to get on with my roll making!

The recipe looked fairly straightforward, which pleased me greatly as I was somewhat lacking in energy. First of all, I measured out an equal quantity of strong white flour and granary flour. I rubbed a small amount of butter into the flour and then found a large measuring jug to measure out some water and milk. The recipe stated that I needed 450ml each of water and milk. I stirred the two together and heated the mix in the microwave until it felt tepid. I had to add this to the flour mixture in a continuous stream whilst blending it together. At this critical moment my mobile phone rang. It took me a while to register that this was my phone as it rarely rings! My hands were a sticky doughy mess so Neil picked up the phone and held it to my ear!! It was my mum. It is my sister's wedding soon and they wanted to know what size pageboy outfit to get for my little boy. I quickly answered the question and made my excuses. My mum seemed to find my predicament rather amusing!! In that short space of time I had lost my concentration. When I looked down at my bowl I realised I was stirring a runny paste! Honestly, it was awful!! As I had been using my hands to stir it all together, they were completely gunged up with this dire concoction! Neil came to my rescue. He tipped in more flour as I was in such a mess. He alternated with the flours and I estimate he must have added a further 350g or so of flour before it was at the right consistency for me to be able to knead it! Finally I was able to tip the by now huge ball of dough onto my floured worktop and give it a good knead. I was amazed that it soon turned into a smooth and elastic dough. I separated it into 12 enormous rolls and placed them onto several greased baking trays. The airing cupboard isn't that warm and it was quite a cool day. I turned the oven on to its lowest setting and left the rolls on top of the oven to prove. To be honest, I really didn't think they would do anything! But, an hour later, I was surprised and delighted to see that the rolls had almost doubled in size.

I glazed the rolls with milk as Mary suggests in her recipe header. She also mentions that you can sprinkle some cracked wheat over the rolls just before baking. I was tempted to go and pick some corn from the field behind our house, but a lot of dogs roam through it and this put me off! I popped the milk glazed rolls into the oven. They only needed about 15 minutes before they were ready. I was really pleased with the look of the rolls; they certainly looked the part. But, judging by the weight of the trays, I was worried the rolls were going to be too heavy and hit our stomachs much as a brick would!

I am so pleased that I persevered with these rolls. I needn't have worried; they weren't heavy at all. Funny, when I was a child I hated granary bread, as I didn't like the bits. However, now I am older, I seek it out! I loved the crunch the granary flour gave these rolls, but I was worried about my fillings! The rolls were light in texture and had a slightly nutty rustic flavour. I will have to make these again, but I will be contacting the publishers as the quantity of fluid I feel isn't right. I asked Neil to check all the amounts to make sure I hadn't read it wrong, but he agreed with what I thought. I will keep you posted!
Turned out well in the end!!

2 comments:

  1. A good starting ratio is 60% hydration, so 100g of flour to 60ml liquid. You may need a little more depending on the flour. So for 700g you would start with 420ml liquid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Carl, that's really helpful. I've learnt something new!

    ReplyDelete