Thursday, 22 September 2011

Chocolate Rum Cake

Recipe Number Ninety Two:  Page 101.

I wasn't too sure what I would make of this cake. Although I have a chocolate addiction, I really dislike chocolate liqueurs. I had one for Christmas once and I am ashamed to say I spat it out!! I now avoid them at all costs. My mother-in-law, on the other hand, adores chocolate liqueurs so I was thankful that she would be visiting the following day; I felt sure she would eat a slice or two.

After Isaac and I attended the baby singing group in the nearby town, we had a quick whizz round one of the mini supermarkets. I had to buy some of the ingredients I needed. My plan was that, as soon as Isaac went for his nap at lunch time, I could crack on with the cake. I managed to get everything apart from the rather important plain chocolate and dark muscovado sugar. I went into two more shops but still no luck. I don't drive, so I rely on the train. They run very irregularly, hence I had to give up my search and gallop down to the station. Neil took pity on me, went to a different supermarket in his lunch hour and found what I needed. However, this meant I couldn't start as early as I had intended; I had to wait until 6pm! Neil had brought value bars of plain chocolate; I hoped they would be ok. Purely for research purposes, I broke off a piece to try. It tasted just like any other good quality bar, yay!

I broke up a couple of bars of chocolate into a bowl and added some cubed butter. I set it over a pan of hot water and resisted the urge to stir it too frequently! Once the chocolate and butter had melted I left it to cool off a little whilst I whisked several egg yolks with the dark muscovado sugar. After tipping in the lumps of sugar I realised I should have broken it up a bit first. I’d forgotten how compacted brown sugar is; it took me ages to break it all up! The recipe says to whisk together until the mixture is light and creamy. I was surprised how quickly the mixture lightened, especially as it started off so dark. I was then ready to stir in the cooled chocolate mixture and a good amount of rum. Cor! The strong fumes nearly knocked my head off. I suppose I shouldn't have sniffed at the bottle of rum! Now, feeling just a little light headed, I folded in a small amount flour and ground almonds. As there wasn't much flour or ground almonds, it was obviously going to be a fudgy, dense cake. The last job was to whisk up the egg whites until stiff and then carefully fold them into the chocolate mixture. I tipped the chocolatey mixture into the ready lined cake tin and placed it in the oven. It was a different licking out the bowl experience; the taste of rum was quite strong, hick!

I was a little worried when I took the cake out of the oven. Even though it had had almost ten minutes less than suggested, it looked dry and overdone. I tipped it out of the tin and left it to cool whilst I got on with the icing. I was feeling very weary at this point and my legs were killing me from all the walking earlier in the day. I had to melt MORE chocolate and then add in MORE butter, oh my poor, poor heart! Whilst it cooled, I had to warm some apricot jam and then push it through a sieve so that it was nice and smooth. Neil very kindly cut the cake in half. It looked a little dry, but once cut I could see that it was moist inside. I spread a little chocolate icing over one of the cakes and then placed the other cake on top. I brushed the sieved apricot jam over the top and sides. I am glad I placed the wire rack over a baking tray as lots of jam dripped off the cake. After the jam had set, I spread on the chocolate icing. There was a large amount so again a lot dripped off the cake and onto the tray; what a messy business, but at least I got to scoop the chocolate mixture off the tray, yummy!

The chocolate ganache decoration was optional, but I felt I should go the whole hog! I needed another load of chocolate; by then just the thought of chocolate made me feel sick! I carried out the process of melting over a pan of water for the third time, boring! Instead of adding the butter in one go, once off the heat, I added the butter a little at a time and mixed well. The butter made the chocolate glossy; it did look good. Just when I thought I had finished I found that I hadn't. I needed to add a couple of egg yolks and whisk them into the chocolate along with a bit more rum. I left it to firm up and went for a much needed soak in the bath; Radox is a good friend of mine! It had gone 10pm by the time I could pipe the ganache onto the cake. Wearing a white dressing gown for this job was a mistake; the sleeves got smothered in chocolate, not a good look! I put the now thick ganache into the piping bag. I only had a large flower nozzle, so had to make do with it, hence why the 'rosettes’ are overly large. As I have said before, piping is not a strong point of mine and, quite frankly, I was too tired to care!

Neil and I nearly died of heart attacks immediately after taking a bite of cake. Oh my goodness me it was so rich and chocolatey! The flavour of rum was very faint, which was fairly surprising. The chocolate was, to be honest, a little overwhelming. It was a lovely moist cake, but it really should come with a health warning – serve in teeny tiny slices!
Not for the faint hearted!!


3 comments:

  1. Love your choc roses. I'm not a big fan of rum so it's good to know this only has a faint taste. Might make it without and substitute Baileys instead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Yes, it was only a hint of rum. Oh good idea to try Baileys - if you try it let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could eat a big wedge of that right now!!

    ReplyDelete