Monday, 5 September 2011

Viennese Fingers

Recipe Number Eighty Five:  Page 215.

Yet another recipe I have never made before. I really enjoy eating Viennese fingers. I like the way they almost melt in my mouth. However, the thought of making my own has never crossed my mind before. The fact that the biscuit mixture has to be piped is to blame for my lack of interest. I cannot pipe to save my life; I really am dreadful! Usually, if the words piping bag or nozzle are mentioned, I can't get away quickly enough!

Reluctantly I retrieved my brand new nozzle and piping bag (yes, I had to buy them specially) and laid them out on the worktop ready for action! As with most biscuit recipes, I didn't need many ingredients, so it wasn't very expensive. This pleased Neil! The first two ingredients I needed were butter and a little icing sugar. I imagined the icing sugar would help give the biscuits the melt in the mouth lightness. I had to beat the butter and sugar together until they were pale and fluffy. I held the mixing bowl with my left hand and the electric whisk with my right. I obviously wasn't paying attention as I caught my left thumb with the fast moving whisk. This was quite painful but I soldiered on, only to catch myself in exactly the same place just moments later!!!

Once the combined butter and icing sugar was light and fluffy, all that was left to do was to sift in some plain flour and a teeny tiny amount of baking powder. I gave the mixture another good mix, whilst managing to avoid further injury! When I had a lovely smooth mixture, I could move onto the part I had been dreading – the piping bag, ARGH!! I pushed the medium star nozzle into my piping bag and then spooned in the biscuit dough. I wondered if I had enough mixture to make the estimated 20 fingers; I didn't appear to have that much. Mary says to pipe out finger shapes about three inches long. Not one to take any chances, I grabbed a ruler and used it for a guide! The piping wasn't so bad, I admit, but they weren't anywhere near as neat and tidy as I would have liked! I put the uneven biscuits into the oven and prayed that they would turn out OK. I found that they took only ten minutes to cook to a pale golden brown. However, one or two were a little over cooked. I wondered why I had needed to use a star nozzle as all of the biscuits had lost their shape and were now rather flat and plain! Unfortunately one or two broke in half when I tried to get them from the baking trays to the wire rack, they were so fragile. Now for the best bit, adding the chocolate! I melted a small amount over a pan of simmering water and, once the biscuits were cold, I could apparently dip both ends into the chocolate. Well, this was impossible! There wasn't enough chocolate for me to be able to dip the biscuits. I found it easier to spoon some melted chocolate over the ends of the fingers instead, but a few more biscuits broke in the process, grrr!

I left the chocolate to set and then had a taste to see what I made of these temperamental little biscuits. I thought them to be impossibly light; they crumbled and then quickly melted in my mouth. The chocolate helped add more flavour and made them look a bit more special. They were so moreish that I ate a couple before realising I had yet to take the important photo! It is a shame some broke; maybe I was too heavy handed with them? I would certainly make these again, but I think I still need to overcome my fear of the piping bag!!
Far from perfect but tasted good! :-)


3 comments:

  1. They look great. You are brave using a piping bag, I never have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious and so moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad I'm not the only one scared of piping bags Nel! Thanks so much Nicola :-)

    ReplyDelete